Tuesday, April 25, 2006

You Can Call Me Crissy

Apparently, I’ve been approaching the publishing industry all wrong. As Harvard undergrad, Kaavya Viswanathan, has shown, all one needs to do in order to snag a $500,000 advance for a first novel is:

14) Acquire a snazzy, exotic-sounding name
Z) Be, like, really, really young
3) Be, like, totally pretty and shit





E) Write uninspiring juvie dreck with a lot of gum-snapping and “omigod!” moments
5) Steal most of the above from someone else’s work.

So, this old dog has been taught a few very stupid tricks. In accordance with Ms. Viswanathan’s most awesome flim-flammy flamitude, I:

34) Changed my name to Chrysanthemum Vulva
2) Doctored my birth certificate so that it appears as if I were born on the same day as Dora the Explorer
3) Already had it going on
7) Began novel with this paragraph: "I like lipgloss. Boys are cool, but they're kind of stupid. Anyway, my best friend, Apple Fritter, and I went to the mall the other day, and we rolled our eyes a lot at the totally stupid vampires walking around. I go, "Apple, what is up with all the vampires today?" and she goes, "I dunno, dude. This is so not cool." And so I go, "We should probably leave before they start attacking and stuff."
(This is going to be difficult, as I am only capable of producing literary diamonds, but for half a mil, I’ll sure as hell give it the ol’ college try)
5) Got my Danielle Steele and Laurell K. Hamilton at the ready

Oh my, I can already smell the ink on my soon-to-be issued $500,000 check...

Thanks, Kaavie. I owe you big time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment