Friday, March 23, 2007

Angels and Demons

Well, goodness, went to register my son for kindergarten yesterday, and was told that he needs another MMR inoculation. This news, of course, pleases me to no end.

The old battleaxe will be positively thrilled to see me again, as I will her. Mayhap I should attempt to engage her in a deep, intellectual conversation about the many virtues of Miller's “The Crucible,” but I have a sinking suspicion the witch will shriek “NEVER AGAIN!” or “REMEMBER SALEM!” or worse, begin babbling in Latin while her eyes roll back in her head. That would frighten both myself and my son, and we can’t have that.

I’ll just smile politely and point at my son’s immunization records with my middle finger or something.

Let’s see, what else…OH! I received a lovely letter from Dr. Tony Attwood (one of the world’s leading experts on Asperger’s syndrome) last night in reply to one I’d sent earlier this month regarding his ultra-fine and bodaciously righteous book “The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome.” Totally surprised and delighted me that he would take the time. Also, he’d said something in his letter that completely validated certain frustrations I’ve had for years vis-à-vis the miserable lack of competent clinicians in my area. Dr. Attwood is someone I very much admire, not only for his wonderful work and expertise in the area of AS, both pediatric and adult, but for his unrivaled passion for the subject and obvious compassion and understanding.

I wish he were my daddy.

Oh, god, I didn’t just write that, did I?

Apparently, I did.

Pretend you didn’t see it, and we won’t speak of this again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment