Thursday, September 23, 2004

Fourteen

You take my breath away, and I reach out to touch

that shining new aura of yours

Brilliant, powerful, imperfect --

I need to straighten everything up

You know, like mothers always do

But you wave me away as if I were trying to steal that platinum prize

all women covet



Beware of soul-thieves



Fourteen

I am taken by the years

The first tiny drops of

Fourteen



You pout your lips, pearly pink

Like abalone shell, exasperating

Eyes shadowed in black

What I wished to be, me

in my thick glasses

What I dreamed of, me

in my clunky Earth Shoes

And over-size smocks

Hiding, always hiding

Behind books and frowns and teenage self-doubt



You were my fantasy



Fourteen

I am shaken by the years

The mist of

Fourteen



You roll your eyes, embarrassed

When you notice my appreciation

When I gaze too long and

Blink away memory

Pull from myself the very thing I

struggle to keep



I want to brush your hair



Fourteen

I am angry at the years

The flood of

Fourteen



You are impatient, bobbing your knee

Snapping your gum

But I refuse to acknowledge the time

I will keep you here as long as I can

As long as you will allow



Don’t leave me



Fourteen

I am proud of the years

Of treading

Fourteen



Happy birthday, my beautiful Veronica.



Love until the end of time,



Mom







0 comments:

Post a Comment