Friday, June 30, 2006

Loving the Yankovic

Weird Al Yankovic may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I must confess that I’ve always found him to be a most fetching little scamp. When a man possesses not only mischievous wit and a tongue made for satire, but a head full of creepy spiral curls, I tend to fall deeply, madly in lust (Howard Stern and Dee Snyder are yet two more hideous examples of my unorthodox taste). But when you put all of the aforementioned together with stupid lyrics, well, that’s the deal-clincher right there.



Sigh...So Dreamy...










And when you add in a touch of class, have mercy. He’s mine forever. Case in point: For his latest, yet-to-be-released album, Mr. Yankovic recorded his version of James Blunt’s “You’re Beautiful,” titled “You’re Pitiful,” a soul-less, gorgeous hunk of spoofery, but Blunt’s record label would have none of it. What’s a Yankovic to do? I’ll tell you what he did. Despite the fact he didn’t really need Blunt’s permission, as under Section 107 in the Copyright Act’s Fair Use criteria, an artist has the right to parody anything or anyone he wishes, Yankovic graciously pulled the track. But to my joy, he’s put “You’re Pitiful” on his website for free download, and honestly, you’d be hard-pressed to find any other singer-songwriter who makes use of the term “farty-pants” better than Weird Al Yankovic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment